Friday, April 23, 2010

B5104 - Striped Top Completed

Remember my What Not To Do When Sewing Stripes? That hot stripey mess has become a finished top and I really like it. After 2 or 3 neckband applications, changing the sleeves, and picking out the hem once - it is finally finished. This will become my fitted T-shirt TNT. I plan to make some solid colors as well. I added elastic to the sleeve for a tighter fit.

Sewing with Knits Tip: I used wooly nylon in my bobbin when sewing the elastic casing and when using my twin needle for hemming the bottom of the shirt. I think it does provide more stretch. A few sources recommend this technique and they also tell you to hand wind the bobbin so there is less tension.




I have really big hair - ALWAYS LOL



The other side is off by a stripe so the green flows into the white. I'll do better next time - maybe. Again this was made using OOP Butterick 5104. Of course, I made a few modifications:)

Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

Antoinette said...

Girl, just embrace those misaligned stripes as a design element! Looks like a great pattern. Glad you worked it out to be a TNT.

MAD14kt said...

I L*VE your BIG hair! ;> Nice fabric choice.

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

Love the stripes. Love the "natural" hair!! Try using a walking foot, it really helps keep everything lined up!

Christa said...

love it! and I love how the elastic on sleeves gives them a slight poof. girly but not too girly:) Found you on MADE and thought your blog was inspiring, hope you don't mind me following!

J A C Q U E L I N E said...

This is great! I still need to sew for me.